Surveyor - Lease Exit
About the Team
The Building Consultancy Group provides Building Surveying, Lease Exit, Project Management and Project Monitoring Services to commercial property occupiers, developers and investors throughout the UK from our offices in London, Birmingham, Manchester and Glasgow. We enjoy strong and productive relationships with a first rate client base and with many other parts of the business, including our Agency, Investment, Valuation and Asset Management teams and continue to grow alongside the wider business. We have secured a strong orderbook of long-term work, but we want to develop this further. Our work at the present time is split across a variety of sectors including industrial, offices, healthcare, religious and residential. We provide the full suite of building consultancy services. Our award winning and industry leading Lease Exit team are seeking to recruit a Surveyor to support the continued growth of the team. Our uniquely structured Lease Exit team is a market leader, recognised for its innovation and achievements in this field. We were named Professional Team of the Year by Property Week in 2019. Our team includes building surveyors with specialist technical dilapidations knowledge and general practice surveyors with valuation and negotiation skills. The successful candidate will be provided the opportunity to become part of a highly specialised team, providing advice to some of the largest property owners and occupiers across the UK. This is a client facing role, enabling the candidate to develop, build and start to lead its own client relationships.
The role will include the following, however the team is multidisciplinary and therefore it is not necessary for applicants to have experience in all of these areas – you can find your own focus:
• Build strong working relationships with our existing clients
• Support on pitches and new client mandates
• Analysis of leases and tenure documents
• Property inspections
• Appreciation of different building specifications and plans
• Understanding tenant fit-out works and reinstatement
• Calculation of budget costs in spreadsheet format
• Strategic lease exit / dilapidations planning and the general application of Landlord & Tenant law
• Understanding and operation of break clauses and compliance with covenants
• Assisting with preparing schedules of work and programming / oversight
• Understanding of how Section 18 of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1927 impacts a dilapidations claim
• Preparing dilapidations liability assessment and budgeting
• Lease surrender premium calculations
• Writing reports and executive summaries
• Negotiation of lease exit transactions, break clause and dilapidations settlements
• Meeting and presenting to clients
• Building relationships with clients and colleagues
• Assisting with the preparation of proposals to win future work, presenting to potential clients
• Working with other Gerald Eve teams to deliver client solutions and to help generate new business opportunities
• Providing CPD to clients and colleagues
• A good bachelor’s or master’s degree.
• Be enthusiastic and willing to learn.
• Have a positive attitude.
• Proven IT skills including high level word and excel competency.
• Well organised, efficient, uses initiative and able to work to tight deadlines.
• Good written/communication skills with an eye for detail.
• Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, coupled with an eye for detail.
• Flexible and self-motivated with a real desire to deliver excellent customer service.
Salary and benefits
• Salary: competitive based on market, professional experience and qualifications
• Travel Allowance
• Performance related staff profit share scheme
• 26 days’ holiday per year (full time amount), plus Bank Holidays and days at Christmas and New Year.
• Pension scheme membership (after initial probationary period)
• Life and Accident insurance
• Group income protection scheme
• Private Medical Insurance
• Critical Illness Cover
• Wellbeing Allowance
• Access to Peppy for you and your partner
• 1 paid volunteering day per year to help give back to our local communities
• Interest Free Season Ticket Loan
• Interest Free Rental Deposit Loan
• Employee assistance programme
• Enhanced maternity and paternity pay after passing probation
• Professional subscription (MRICS/MRTPI) paid for by the firm (once qualified)
Alongside our competitive compensation and benefits package we offer all our staff the ongoing opportunities to learn and develop, through in-house CPD sessions, further education support as well as internal and external training programmes. Gerald Eve encourage pro-bono work and volunteering as well as regular social and sporting activities to engage with all your colleagues. Your progression will be supported and guided by managers and mentors using a transparent framework so you can clearly see what you need to do to get to where you want to be.
Hybrid working and core hours
Our hybrid working policy outlines staff to be in the office for 3 days per week, with 2 days working from home. In our London offices, our desk booking app allows you to plan ahead, and book your desk up to 3 weeks ahead. We also offer great flexibility around our core hours, which are from 10.00 a.m. to 4.00 p.m. You can choose to start and end your day around these hours, provided you still do your 7.25 hours per day (e.g. 8.00 am – 4.30pm, 10.00 am – 6.30 pm). There is no requirement for this to be the same each day, but you are required to keep your manager informed. This position also involves out of hours working on an ‘as necessary’ basis. We are open to considering flexible working arrangements for everyone; this can be discussed during the application process or upon commencement.