Surveyor - Alternative Markets
About Gerald Eve LLP
Gerald Eve is a firm of international property consultants based in the UK. We operate a national network of nine offices and an international association covering 20 European countries and all major US markets. Whether you are a property owner, investor, occupier or developer, Gerald Eve provides independent, intelligent and relevant advice based on detailed market knowledge and sector understanding.
We provide comprehensive property advice to public and private sector organisations and our clients – including over 40 of the FTSE100 – hold some of the largest property portfolios in the country. Our employees are tasked with providing intelligent and commercial solutions to ensure our clients’ portfolios deliver the maximum return possible.
What sets us apart from our competitors is the way in which we value our people, and the values that are at the core of our business: Trust and Integrity, Respect, Friendliness and Excellence.
About the team
The team specialises in education, healthcare and charity property providing a wide range of services from valuations of specialist assets for loan security to advice on financial reporting and purchase and disposal. Our charity focus involves valuation led strategic advice as part of The Charities Act, often leading do disposal of vacant and trading assets and development opportunities. The team often works with our Capital Markets and National Investment teams to provide due diligence advice on purchase and disposals in the alternatives sector.
The wider department advises on asset valuations and business rates for Universities, Museums and NHS Trusts as well as some of the more ‘traditional commercial and residential valuations’ with separate teams providing leasehold enfranchisement advice to some of the major central London estates and advice to licensed and leisure clients.
The requirement is for a qualified surveyor to undertake specialist valuations, mostly in respect of schools, colleges, nurseries, ecclesiastical property, care homes/supported living, hospitals and the like. You will also support the team in respect of due diligence for purchases and disposals.
The role provides an opportunity to work with leading specialist valuers with a high quality client base and will provide the opportunity to take increasing responsibility working towards building a client base.
The need is for a confident self-starter prepared to use their initiative and be adaptable to varying clients and work types. The individual will need to be a competent surveyor, but training will be given in specialist valuations for loan security, financial reporting, due diligence and compliance with The Charities Act where necessary.
• Undertaking inspections and measuring and referencing specialist property assets.
• Undertaking research and valuations to support purchase and disposal.
• Providing valuation advice to clients for a variety of purposes, including asset valuations for accounts purposes, loan security valuations, valuations for sale and purchase and Charities Act compliance and for use in formulating estates strategies.
• There will be varying degrees of Landlord and Tenant work including rent reviews and lease renewals.
• You will report to a partner in the team and work closely alongside other surveyors, senior surveyors and an associate.
• Liaising with and reporting to clients and developing close client relationships.
• MRICS qualified.
• RICS Registered Valuer
• Strong written and oral communication skills.
• Excellent organisational, communication and interpersonal skills.
• Ability to prioritise workload, work under pressure and to deadlines on own initiative.
• A proactive approach to problem solving and ability to follow these through to a satisfactory conclusion.
• Good understanding of the core valuation methods with some working knowledge of residual and profits valuations, albeit training will be given.
• Strong grasp of Word, Excel and preferably experience in Argus Developer.
Salary and benefits
• Salary: competitive based on market, professional experience and qualifications
• Car allowance
• Performance related staff profit share scheme
• 26 days’ holiday, plus Bank Holidays and days at Christmas and New Year.
• Pension scheme membership (after initial probationary period)
• Life and Accident insurance
• Group income protection scheme
• Private Medical Insurance
• Critical Illness Cover
• Fitness Allowance
• Interest Free Season Ticket Loan
• Interest Free Rental Deposit Loan
• Employee assistance programme
• Enhanced maternity and paternity pay after two years’ service
• Professional subscription (MRICS) covered by the firm
Alongside our competitive compensation and benefits package we offer all our staff the ongoing opportunities to learn and develop, through in-house CPD sessions, further education support as well as internal and external training programmes. Gerald Eve encourage pro-bono work and volunteering as well as regular social and sporting activities to engage with all your colleagues.
Your progression will be supported and guided by managers and mentors using a transparent framework so you can clearly see what you need to do to get to where you want to be.
The normal hours of work for this position are 0900hrs to 1730hrs, Monday to Friday. This position also involves out of hours working on an ‘as necessary’ basis. The Firm is open to considering flexible working arrangements for everyone; this can be discussed during the application process or upon commencement.
Lulu Farmbrough Gerald Eve LLP 72 Welbeck Street London W1G 0AY
Direct tel. 0207 333 6216
The firm is an equal opportunities employer and applications from persons belonging to minority groups are encouraged.
Your personal data submitted and processed in relation to this job application will be stored and processed securely in accordance with our Data Protection policy. By submitting an application you are agreeing to your data being used, stored and processed for the purpose of recruitment.
The terms and conditions of this appointment may be varied by the firm to meet business requirements and/or to meet changes in best practice or legal requirements.