Assistant Building Surveyor
About the Team
The Building Consultancy Group provides Building Surveying, Lease Exit, Project Management and Project Monitoring Services to commercial property occupiers, developers and investors throughout the UK from our offices in London, Birmingham, Manchester and Glasgow. We enjoy strong and productive relationships with a first rate client base and with many other parts of the business, including our Agency, Investment, Valuation and Asset Management teams and continue to grow alongside the wider business.
We have secured a strong orderbook of long-term work, but we want to develop this further. Our work at the present time is split across a variety of sectors including industrial, offices, healthcare, religious and residential. We provide the full suite of building consultancy services
The Manchester Building Consultancy team are seeking to recruit an Assistant Surveyor to support the continued growth of the team. The team has been identified as an area for strategic growth and will offer a well-motivated individual an excellent opportunity to gain experience in Building Surveying within a multi-disciplinary firm. The candidate will undertake a wide range of Building Surveying services, with a mixture of professional and project opportunities.
You will have a degree in building surveying and be ready and be ready to kick start your career with us. Gerald Eve prides itself on being able to offer the highest standard of training and dedicated support for all its graduates and surveyors, continuing throughout their careers. We are a well-established, professional and highly regarded Partnership within the industry, consistent in our goal to recruit bright, dynamic people who will grow with the firm.
We work hard to get you through your APC as quickly and painlessly as possible. Our graduates have an outstanding track record – partly down to their own intellect and application and partly because they can access one of the most thorough training programmes in the sector. In addition to this, we’ll help you build up your competencies. The formal training is both theoretical and practical and will help you consolidate your knowledge.
• Supporting senior members in the team in undertaking a wide range of building surveying services including dilapidations, project management, technical due diligence, building reinstatement cost assessments, and planned preventative maintenance programmes.
• Able to deliver multiple instructions effectively with supervision, seeking guidance where required.
• As experience is gained, liaise directly with clients to ensure that their requirements are met and that they are kept up to date.
• A good bachelor’s or master’s degree.
• Be enthusiastic and willing to learn.
• Have a positive attitude.
• Proven IT skills including high level word and excel competency.
• Well organised, efficient, uses initiative and able to work to tight deadlines.
• Good written/communication skills with an eye for detail.
• Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, coupled with an eye for detail.
• Flexible and self-motivated with a real desire to deliver excellent customer service.
Salary and benefits
• Salary: competitive based on market, professional experience and qualifications
• Performance related staff profit share scheme
• 26 days’ holiday per year (full time amount), plus Bank Holidays and days at Christmas and New Year.
• Pension scheme membership (after initial probationary period)
• Life and Accident insurance
• Group income protection scheme
• Private Medical Insurance
• Critical Illness Cover
• Wellbeing Allowance
• Access to Peppy for you and your partner
• 1 paid volunteering day per year to help give back to our local communities
• Interest Free Season Ticket Loan
• Interest Free Rental Deposit Loan
• Employee assistance programme
• Enhanced maternity and paternity pay after passing probation
• Professional subscription (MRICS/MRTPI) paid for by the firm (once qualified)
Alongside our competitive compensation and benefits package we offer all our staff the ongoing opportunities to learn and develop, through in-house CPD sessions, further education support as well as internal and external training programmes. Gerald Eve encourage pro-bono work and volunteering as well as regular social and sporting activities to engage with all your colleagues. Your progression will be supported and guided by managers and mentors using a transparent framework so you can clearly see what you need to do to get to where you want to be.
Hybrid working and core hours
Our hybrid working policy outlines staff to be in the office for 3 days per week, with 2 days working from home. In our London offices, our desk booking app allows you to plan ahead, and book your desk up to 3 weeks ahead. We also offer great flexibility around our core hours, which are from 10.00 a.m. to 4.00 p.m. You can choose to start and end your day around these hours, provided you still do your 7.25 hours per day (e.g. 8.00 am – 4.30pm, 10.00 am – 6.30 pm). There is no requirement for this to be the same each day, but you are required to keep your manager informed. This position also involves out of hours working on an ‘as necessary’ basis. We are open to considering flexible working arrangements for everyone; this can be discussed during the application process or upon commencement.