Associate (Building Surveying)
About Gerald Eve LLP
Gerald Eve provides property consultancy services to investors, occupiers and developers. We operate a national network of nine offices and an International Alliance, with partner firms covering 20 European countries and all major US markets. Our specialist sectors include industrial and logistics, alternative markets, the London office market, public sector and corporate real estate services.
Gerald Eve’s partners take pride in their reputation as leading experts and our highly regarded sector specialist teams continue to attract the best talent in the market. We offer comprehensive property advice to public and private sector clients, which includes over 40 of the FTSE100 and some of the largest property portfolios in the UK. Clients benefit from long-term trusted advisor relationships, with client teams providing advice across the full spectrum of property services.
What sets us apart from our competitors is the way in which we value our people, our size and open plan workspace which supports collaborative working. Gerald Eve thrives as a privately-owned partnership and the “we are all in this together” approach is respected across the business. Our values define our culture: Trust and Integrity, Respect, Friendliness and Excellence. We are a previous Times 100 Best Employer and Estates Gazette Employer of the Year 2018. Our Diversity approach is central to the business, championed by our Senior Partner, Simon Prichard, who is currently Chair of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) UK and Ireland Board.
What is it like to work at Gerald Eve?
Most new joiners to Gerald Eve remark on the friendly welcome they receive from colleagues. From lunch-time yoga and pilates classes, sports teams and book and chess clubs to pro bono and charity work, we strive to strike the right balance between work and social activities. In 2018, we won the Vitality Healthiest Workplace in the UK award (mid-sized firm) and we encourage healthy eating and mental wellbeing across the business.
We are a responsible business and recognise that our staff often benefit from flexible, agile working arrangements, something we are open to exploring with candidates.
About the Team
The Building Consultancy group provides Building Surveying, Lease Exit and Project Management Services to commercial property occupiers, developers and investors throughout the UK from our offices in London, Birmingham Manchester and Glasgow.
The Group enjoys strong and productive relationships with a prestigious client base and with many other parts of the business, including our Agency, Investment, Valuation and Asset Management teams, and has been identified as an area for strategic growth. We work predominantly in the office, industrial, education and alternatives sectors
Over the last year the firm have begun to strengthen the Building Surveying offer in London. We now require an experienced commercial surveyor, with an emphasis on professional services to include, in particular, building surveys and technical due diligence, feasibility studies and planned maintenance advice.
• To help lead development of the London Building Consultancy team.
• To build a portfolio of key client relationships, both internally and externally, founded upon technical expertise, enthusiasm and outstanding communication skills.
• To assist in management of more junior members of the team, ensuring that they fulfil their potential.
The role will include a wide range of professional services including:
• Technical due diligence surveys
• Building condition reports
• Schedules of condition
• Building Reinstatement Cost Assessments
• Advising owners and occupiers on the use of buildings including PPM and statutory responsibilities
• Project monitoring
• Contract Administration
The role is client facing and would suit someone who is well presented, has good written and verbal communication skills and is eager to learn and develop their career. The candidate will be highly motivated, hardworking and with a can-do attitude who wants to help shape the future direction of the team.
Key Attributes and qualifications
• MRICS (Building Surveying)
• Minimum 5 years’ relevant post-qualification experience in commercial property.
• Well organised, efficient, using initiative and working to tight deadlines.
• Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, coupled with an eye for details, a commitment to excellence and developing strong client relationships.
• Possess a proactive approach to problem solving and ability to follow these through to a satisfactory conclusion.
• Proven IT skills, including high-level Microsoft Word and Excel competencies.
• Flexible, confident and self-motivated with a real desire to deliver excellent customer service.
• Positive attitude and willing to learn with and develop the team.
• Able to identify areas of commercial opportunity for future development.
• Clean driving licence
Salary and benefits
• Salary: competitive based on market, professional experience and qualifications
• Car allowance
• Performance related staff profit share scheme
• 26 days’ holiday, plus Bank Holidays and days at Christmas and New Year.
• Pension scheme membership (after initial probationary period)
• Life and Accident insurance
• Group income protection scheme
• Private Medical Insurance
• Critical Illness Cover
• Fitness Allowance
• Interest Free Season Ticket Loan
• Interest Free Rental Deposit Loan
• Employee assistance programme
• Enhanced maternity and paternity pay after two years’ service
• Professional subscription (MRICS) paid for by the firm
Alongside our competitive compensation and benefits package, we offer all our staff the ongoing opportunities to learn and develop, through in-house CPD sessions, further education support as well as internal and external training programmes. Gerald Eve encourage pro-bono work and volunteering as well as regular social and sporting activities to engage with all your colleagues.
Your progression will be supported and guided by managers and mentors using a transparent framework so you can clearly see what you need to do to get to where you want to be.
The normal hours of work for this position are 0900hrs to 1730hrs, Monday to Friday. This position also involves out of hours working on an ‘as necessary’ basis. The Firm is open to considering flexible working arrangements for everyone; this can be discussed during the application process or upon commencement.
James Gilbert, HR Manager, Gerald Eve LLP, 72 Welbeck Street, London W1G 0AY
Direct tel. 020 7333 6204
The firm is an equal opportunities employer and applications from persons belonging to minority groups are encouraged.
Your personal data submitted and processed in relation to this job application will be stored and processed securely in accordance with our Data Protection policy. By submitting an application you are agreeing to your data being used, stored and processed for the purpose of recruitment.
The terms and conditions of this appointment may be varied by the firm to meet business requirements and/or to meet changes in best practice or legal requirements.