Surveyor, Lease Exit
We are looking for one individual but open to two different backgrounds, General Practice and Building Surveying. Please apply for the advert/job description which best suits your background and experience.
About Gerald Eve LLP
Gerald Eve provides property consultancy services to investors, occupiers and developers. We operate a national network of nine offices and an International Alliance, with partner firms covering 20 European countries and all major US markets. Our specialist sectors include industrial and logistics, alternative markets, the London office market, public sector and corporate real estate services.
Gerald Eve’s partners take pride in their reputation as leading experts and our highly regarded sector specialist teams continue to attract the best talent in the market. We offer comprehensive property advice to public and private sector clients, which includes over 40 of the FTSE100 and some of the largest property portfolios in the UK. Clients benefit from long-term trusted advisor relationships, with client teams providing advice across the full spectrum of property services.
What sets us apart from our competitors is the way in which we value our people, our size and open plan workspace which supports collaborative working. Gerald Eve thrives as a privately-owned partnership and the “we are all in this together” approach is respected across the business. Our values define our culture: Trust and Integrity, Respect, Friendliness and Excellence. We are a previous Times 100 Best Employer and Estates Gazette Employer of the Year 2018. Our Diversity approach is central to the business, championed by our Senior Partner, Simon Prichard, who is currently Chair of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) UK and Ireland Board.
What is it like to work at Gerald Eve?
Most new joiners to Gerald Eve remark on the friendly welcome they receive from colleagues. From lunch-time yoga and pilates classes, sports teams and book and chess clubs to pro bono and charity work, we strive to strike the right balance between work and social activities. In 2018, we won the Vitality Healthiest Workplace in the UK award (mid-sized firm) and we encourage healthy eating and mental wellbeing across the business.
We are a responsible business and recognise that our staff often benefit from flexible, agile working arrangements, something we are open to exploring with candidates.
About the Team
Our uniquely structured Lease Exit team is a market leader, recognised for its innovation and achievements in this field. We were named Professional Team of the Year by Property Week in 2019. Our team includes building surveyors with specialist technical dilapidations knowledge and general practice surveyors with valuation and negotiation skills.
We win many of the largest mandates from blue chip clients, competing against the very large firms, due to our focus, track record and reputation. Recent major projects include:
• UK Public regulator – strategic lease exit advice on c.400,000 sq ft of offices in London
• Financial services client – lease exit, break and dilapidations negotiations on 5 City buildings totaling 300,000 sq ft
• Insurance client – exit from various London buildings totaling 280,000 sq ft facilitating relocation
• Professional services firm – exit from 250,000 sq ft in Midtown
• FTSE 100 company – exit from various London buildings including 90,000 sq ft office in EC2 and consolidation into one building. Dilapidations advice on their 2.5 million sq ft occupational portfolio
The team enjoys strong and productive relationships with a prestigious client base and works on an integral basis with many other parts of the business, including our Agency, Corporate Real Estate, Valuation and Asset Management teams. We work predominantly in the office, industrial, education and alternatives sectors but also niche assets such as, railway arches, deep level bomb shelters, bakeries, and power stations.
There had been a move towards more flexible and efficient working methods in recent years, but Covid-19 has cemented the need for change. Lease Exit has been identified as an area for strategic growth. The role will include the following; however, the team is multidisciplinary and therefore it is not necessary for applicants to have experience in all of these areas – you can find your own focus:
• Analysis of leases, licences to alter and other contractual documents
• Appreciation of building specifications and plans
• Understanding tenant fit-out works and reinstatement
• Dilapidations liability assessment and budgeting
• Understanding and operation of break clauses and compliance with covenants
• Writing reports and executive summaries
• Negotiation of lease exit transactions, break clause, surrenders and dilapidations settlements
• Meeting and presenting to clients
• Building relationships with clients and colleagues
• Assisting with the preparation of proposals to win future work, presenting to potential clients
• Working with other Gerald Eve teams to deliver client solutions and to help generate new business opportunities
• Providing CPD to clients and colleagues
• Property inspections
• Option appraisal and advice
• Strategic lease exit planning and the general application of Landlord & Tenant law
• Valuation aspects of lease-end matters - Section 18 (damage to reversion) appraisals
• Lease surrender premium calculations
• Preparing appraisals and cashflows
We are looking for someone with excellent technical and communication skills who will provide a quality service and has ambition to progress their career and the business in which they operate.
Key Attributes and qualifications
• MRICS qualification (Commercial Surveying) with 6-24 months post-qualification experience.
• Direct experience with lease exit matters, or transferable skills and experience.
• Given the growth of this specialism and critical point in the real estate market cycle, the successful candidate needs to be ambitious.
• A real interest in physical assets and buildings.
• Direct experience in lease exit matters, dilapidations, Section 18 valuation, lease advisory or in complementary areas (management, valuation, agency, corporate real estate for example).
• An awareness of the property market and an understanding of what influences the value of assets
• An enquiring mind – someone who looks beyond the obvious to come up with a solution that suits the client’s best interests.
• A willingness to innovate.
• Demonstrable aptitude for negotiations, concise accurate advice and client relationship building.
• A desire to reach the forefront of your chosen field and work within a stimulating and challenging environment, with a focus on team-work and outstanding client service
Salary and benefits
• Competitive salary
• Car allowance
• Performance related staff profit share scheme
• 26 days’ holiday, Bank Holidays and days at Christmas and New Year.
• Pension scheme membership
• Life, permanent health and Accident insurance
• Private Medical Insurance
• Critical Illness Cover
• Wellbeing Allowance
• Interest Free Season Ticket Loan
• Interest Free Rental Deposit Loan
• Employee assistance programme
• Enhanced maternity and paternity pay after two years’ service
• Professional subscription (MRICS) paid for by the firm
We offer all our staff the ongoing opportunities to learn and develop, through in-house CPD sessions, further education support as well as internal and external training programmes. Gerald Eve encourage pro-bono work and volunteering as well as regular social and sporting activities to engage with all your colleagues.
The firm’s core working hours are 1000hrs to 1600hrs, Monday to Friday; employees may work their hours flexibly around this.
Sadie Robbins, HR Advisor
Direct tel 02073 336 286