Senior Surveyor, Rating
About Gerald Eve LLP
Gerald Eve provides property consultancy services to investors, occupiers and developers. We operate a national network of nine offices and an International Alliance, with partner firms covering 20 European countries and all major US markets. Our specialist sectors include industrial and logistics, alternative markets, the London office market, public sector and corporate real estate services.
Gerald Eve’s partners take pride in their reputation as leading experts and our highly regarded sector specialist teams continue to attract the best talent in the market. We offer comprehensive property advice to public and private sector clients, which includes over 40 of the FTSE100 and some of the largest property portfolios in the UK. Clients benefit from long-term trusted advisor relationships, with client teams providing advice across the full spectrum of property services.
What sets us apart from our competitors is the way in which we value our people, our size and open plan workspace which supports collaborative working. Gerald Eve thrives as a privately-owned partnership and the “we are all in this together” approach is respected across the business. Our values define our culture: Trust and Integrity, Respect, Friendliness and Excellence. We are a previous Times 100 Best Employer and Estates Gazette Employer of the Year 2018. Our Diversity approach is central to the business, championed by our Senior Partner, Simon Prichard, who is currently Chair of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) UK and Ireland Board.
What is it like to work at Gerald Eve?
Most new joiners to Gerald Eve remark on the friendly welcome they receive from colleagues. From lunch-time yoga and pilates classes, sports teams and book and chess clubs to pro bono and charity work, we strive to strike the right balance between work and social activities. In 2018, we won the Vitality Healthiest Workplace in the UK award (mid-sized firm) and we encourage healthy eating and mental wellbeing across the business.
We are a responsible business and recognise that our staff often benefit from flexible, agile working arrangements, something we are open to exploring with candidates.
About the Team
The Retail Rating team are part of the wider Retail, Industrial and Offices (RIO) business group. The Retail team is made up of two sub-teams, focusing on lease consultancy and business rates. This vacancy is for the Retail Rating team which is currently formed of 7 team members (inclusive of this role), inclusive of 2 graduates, 4 fee earners and 1 Rating Administration Manager.
To provide rating advice on retail and restaurant properties to private sector clients predominantly in London and the south east of England.
Within an overall remit to drive the rating business forward, key responsibilities will include:
• Achieving rates savings via the Check, Challenge, Appeal process and pursue all other opportunities for savings.
• Providing key clients with services covering rating valuation appeals, rates reliefs and rates management.
• Managing the relationship with key clients.
• Agreeing, achieving and surpassing billing targets.
• Supporting the graduates and/or Apprentices that rotate through the team.
• MRICS qualified
• Technical knowledge including relevant legislation and case law
• Experience of valuing retail properties for rating purposes preferable
• Commercially aware
• Strong negotiation skills
• Ability to work on own initiative whilst being an excellent team player
• Proven IT skills, including proficient use of Microsoft Office
• Well organised and able to work to tight deadlines
• Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, coupled with an eye for detail, a commitment to excellence and developing strong client relationships
• Proactive, flexible and self-motivated with a real desire to deliver excellent customer service
Salary and benefits
• Salary: competitive based on market, professional experience and qualifications
• Car allowance
• Performance related staff profit share scheme
• 26 days’ holiday, plus Bank Holidays and days at Christmas and New Year.
• Pension scheme membership (after initial probationary period)
• Life and Accident insurance
• Group income protection scheme
• Private Medical Insurance
• Critical Illness Cover
• Fitness Allowance
• Interest Free Season Ticket Loan
• Interest Free Rental Deposit Loan
• Employee assistance programme
• Enhanced maternity and paternity pay after two years’ service
• Professional subscription (MRICS) paid for by the firm
Alongside our competitive compensation and benefits package we offer all our staff the ongoing opportunities to learn and develop, through in-house CPD sessions, further education support as well as internal and external training programmes. Gerald Eve encourage pro-bono work and volunteering as well as regular social and sporting activities to engage with all your colleagues.
Your progression will be supported and guided by managers and mentors using a transparent framework so you can clearly see what you need to do to get to where you want to be.
The normal hours of work for this position are 0900hrs to 1730hrs, Monday to Friday. The Firm’s core hours are from 10.00 a.m. to 4.00 p.m. and you may choose to start and end your day around these hours, provided you still do your 7.25 hours per day (e.g. 8.00 am – 4.30pm, 10.00 am – 6.30 pm).
Jennifer Bransbury Gerald Eve LLP 72 Welbeck Street, London, W1G 0AY
Direct tel. 0207 333 6227
The firm is an equal opportunities employer and applications from persons belonging to minority groups are encouraged.
Your personal data submitted and processed in relation to this job application will be stored and processed securely in accordance with our Data Protection policy. By submitting an application you are agreeing to your data being used, stored and processed for the purpose of recruitment.
The terms and conditions of this appointment may be varied by the firm to meet business requirements and/or to meet changes in best practice or legal requirements.