Surveyor - Offices Rating
About Gerald Eve LLP
Gerald Eve provides property consultancy services to investors, occupiers and developers. We operate a national network of nine offices and an International Alliance, with partner firms covering 20 European countries and all major US markets. Our specialist sectors include industrial and logistics, alternative markets, the London office market, public sector and corporate real estate services.
Gerald Eve’s partners take pride in their reputation as leading experts and our highly regarded sector specialist teams continue to attract the best talent in the market. We offer comprehensive property advice to public and private sector clients, which includes over 40 of the FTSE100 and some of the largest property portfolios in the UK. Clients benefit from long-term trusted advisor relationships, with client teams providing advice across the full spectrum of property services.
What sets us apart from our competitors is the way in which we value our people, our size and open plan workspace which supports collaborative working. Gerald Eve thrives as a privately-owned partnership and the “we are all in this together” approach is respected across the business. Our values define our culture: Trust and Integrity, Respect, Friendliness and Excellence. We are a previous Times 100 Best Employer and Estates Gazette Employer of the Year 2018. Our Diversity approach is central to the business, championed by our Senior Partner, Simon Prichard, who is currently Chair of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) UK and Ireland Board.
What is it like to work at Gerald Eve?
Most new joiners to Gerald Eve remark on the friendly welcome they receive from colleagues. From lunch-time yoga and pilates classes, sports teams and book and chess clubs to pro bono and charity work, we strive to strike the right balance between work and social activities. In 2018, we won the Vitality Healthiest Workplace in the UK award (mid-sized firm) and we encourage healthy eating and mental wellbeing across the business.
We are a responsible business and recognise that our staff often benefit from flexible, agile working arrangements, something we are open to exploring with candidates.
About the Team
The RIO Offices Rating team is part of the wider RIO (Retail, Industrial and Offices) business group. Within each sub-team, this is further broken down into teams with a focus on business rates, lease consultancy, valuation, corporate real estate and agency. The Offices Rating team is currently formed of 6 people: 3 Partners, 1 Surveyor (this role), 1 Assistant Surveyor and 1 Property and Rating Administration Manager. The team also sometimes have a graduate that rotates into the team to make an additional team member. The team is further supported by 2 Team Administrators who support the London City based teams.
The team have regular sociable events with both the City office, London West End office and wider firm.
With an overall remit to help drive the business rates team forward, you will be providing rating advice on office properties to private sector clients predominantly in London and the home counties.
• Achieving rates savings via the Check, Challenge, Appeal process and pursue all other opportunities for savings
• Providing key clients with services covering rating valuation appeals, rates reliefs and rates management
• Developing and managing the relationship with key clients
• Developing and maintaining a strong network of internal and external contacts
• Working with colleagues within wider Offices team where we provide multiple services
• Involvement in preparing bids for, and presenting to, existing and target clients
• Contract management
• Maintaining and updating systems and databases
• Agreeing, achieving and surpassing billing targets
• Supporting the graduates and/or Apprentices that rotate through the team
• MRICS qualified
• Technical knowledge including relevant legislation and case law
• Experience of valuing office properties for rating purposes preferable
• Commercially aware
• Strong negotiation skills
• Ability to work on own initiative whilst being an excellent team player
• Proven IT skills, including proficient use of Microsoft Office
• Well organised and able to work to tight deadlines
• Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, coupled with an eye for detail, a commitment to excellence and developing strong client relationships
• Proactive, flexible and self-motivated with a real desire to deliver excellent customer service
Salary and benefits
• Salary: competitive based on market, professional experience and qualifications
• Car allowance
• Performance related staff profit share scheme
• 26 days’ holiday, plus Bank Holidays and days at Christmas and New Year.
• Pension scheme membership (after initial probationary period)
• Life and Accident insurance
• Group income protection scheme
• Private Medical Insurance
• Critical Illness Cover
• Fitness Allowance
• Interest Free Season Ticket Loan
• Interest Free Rental Deposit Loan
• Employee assistance programme
• Enhanced maternity and paternity pay after two years’ service
• Professional subscription (MRICS) paid for by the firm
Alongside our competitive compensation and benefits package we offer all our staff the ongoing opportunities to learn and develop, through in-house CPD sessions, further education support as well as internal and external training programmes. Gerald Eve encourage pro-bono work and volunteering as well as regular social and sporting activities to engage with all your colleagues.
Your progression will be supported and guided by managers and mentors using a transparent framework so you can clearly see what you need to do to get to where you want to be.
The firm’s core working hours are 1000hrs to 1600hrs, Monday to Friday; employees may work their hours flexibly around this. This position also involves out of hours working on an ‘as necessary’ basis. The Firm is open to considering flexible working arrangements for everyone; this can be discussed during the application process or upon commencement.
Vanessa Briggs Gerald Eve LLP 72 Welbeck Street, London, W1G 0AY
Direct tel. 0207 333 6335
The firm is an equal opportunities employer and applications from persons belonging to minority groups are encouraged.
Your personal data submitted and processed in relation to this job application will be stored and processed securely in accordance with our Data Protection policy. By submitting an application you are agreeing to your data being used, stored and processed for the purpose of recruitment.
The terms and conditions of this appointment may be varied by the firm to meet business requirements and/or to meet changes in best practice or legal requirements.